As much as I love candles, I love decorative candle holders even more. They are the perfect little accessory for any room. With just a bit of paint, transform a plain glass jar or bottle into a vibrant Moroccan lantern. Make them as housewarming gifts or display them at your next outdoor occasion. Either way, they’re sure to be a hit!
I guarantee you’ll have a good time making these too. Not only were they super simple to make, but I love the way they turned out. Plus, who doesn’t like playing with puffy paint? Grab a few empty glass jars and have fun experimenting with different colors and patterns. The possibilities are truly endless. Just follow the steps below to make your very own.
• Glass jar, candle holder or bottle
• Transparent glass paint (2 colors)
• Puffy paint/dimensional paint
• Paper plate
- Pour glass paint into the jar so that the bottom is completely covered.
- Start slowly turning the jar on its side so that the paint begins to spread onto the walls. Add more paint if the paint does not easily swirl around.
- Still holding the jar on its side, pour your second color paint onto the side walls and continue to turn the jar so that all sides of the walls have some paint on them.
- Swirl for a few seconds then turn the jar upside down on the paper plate and watch the paint begin to pour down the sides of the jar. After a few minutes, if the walls are not covered, you may need to add more paint and repeat this step.
- Let the excess paint drip down for about an hour, moving the jar around every 15-20 minutes to prevent it from sticking to the plate. Then, turn the jar right side up and let dry.
- For a durable finish, let dry for a full 48 hours then bake the jar for 30 minutes at 200°F in a non-preheated oven. Allow to cool with the oven door open. (based on instructions from paint manufacturer)
- Using the applicator tip on the dimensional paint bottle, paint your desired pattern onto the bottle. For best results, first sketch a design on a piece of paper and practice using the paint before applying onto the jar.