The birds that visit your backyard are a part of the whole ecosystem. The Importance of bird houses can’t be understated if you want to attract birds to your yard. Having a home for your feathered friends adds some interest to your yard and makes sure the birds will keep visiting. There are also many other bird house benefits, as well.
The Importance of Bird Houses
There are many bird house benefits, other than just giving visiting birds a place to roost. If you attract them to your yard by having bird friendly bird houses, and adding fresh clean water to the yard, the birds will help out in many ways in your garden.
Bird Houses are often called nesting boxes because they provide a safe place for birds to build their nests, protected from the elements and predators. In the winter months, they give visiting birds a place to snuggle together for warmth away from the cold air.
- Controlling pests. Since birds eat insects, they will help to eliminate unwanted pests in your yard and free you from needing to use otherwise harmful pesticides.
- Weed control. Birds love to eat weed seeds. Gardeners do not like to weed. A Win win situation for all!
- Flower pollination. There are many birds who love to sip nectar from flowers and help to pollinate. With the bee population diminishing, attracting birds who do this is sure to benefit your garden.
- Conservation. Birds love native plants. If you grow these and then attract birds to your yard with bird friendly birdhouses, you will find that your gardening chores will diminish.
- Property Values. A well maintained home with native landscaping that attracts birds has great curb appeal, which helps with property values.
Choosing the right bird house is a matter of personal taste. The come in all shapes and sizes, to match any outdoor decor. Here are a few ideas to give you some inspiration.
A bird house can easily fit your outdoor garden theme. This blue one will be right at home in a cottage garden.
If you don’t want to buy a bird house, then get out your DIY supplies. A rusty old funnel makes a great top to this DIY bird house.
You don’t have to think small! This monster of a bird house will be the focal point of any garden!
Don’t let the cold weather stop you from caring for your feather friends. Keep bird houses stocked with food in the colder months too. See my tips for attracting birds in winter here.This old rustic bird house is almost a hotel for birds. It will house many birds at one time.
And finally, this fancy bird house from our affiliate Amazon has a Dickens look to it. So cute and less than $18 including free shipping!
Birds are an important part of any back yard garden and the importance of bird houses is more than just attracting birds to your yard. Choose the right bird house to ensure that you’ll get all of the benefits of have birds nearby.